Saturday, March 5, 2011

Hospital Hell

Unfortunately Rhett got RSV and pneumonia at 6 weeks old, which is a very bad thing. We were in the hospital for 7 days. Rhett had oxygen, a feeding tube, was catheterized 2 times, deep nasal suctioning, breathing treatments, 2 IV sites that took 6 tries and multiple nurses to get, blood drawn, antibiotics, and dozens of hour long coughing fits. It was quite the ordeal.


I saw my kids about 4 hours the whole week and slept an average of 3 to 4 hours a night. It was insane. Our only saving grace was Kay, Kyle's mom. She was in town for a visit and extended her stay for almost a week. She single handily took care of Luke and Chloe so that Kyle and I could live at the hospital. Thank you!! And thank you to all our other great friends who offered service in ways that we didn't know we needed, but we did!





3 comments:

joolee said...

poor little guy! and you guys too, for having to go through that. glad he's well!

Starlee said...

Congrats on little Rhett! He looks so different from the other two. He's very handsome. I'm so sorry about the RSV! Unfortunately, your experience sound so familiar. Lucy is 2 weeks old and we've been in the hospital for 4 days now. Supplemental oxygen, IV's, lots of suctioning, very little sleep, etc. At least Grandma was in town and able to extend her trip. I totally understand how hard it is. I hope Rhett is doing much better. Mike and I decided that summer babies are definitely the way to go :) I hope you're able to catch up on sleep soon. Take care!

Anjanette said...

I'm so sorry he got sick. Sounds like he is all better now. You have a beautiful new little boy.